Safety Tips for Cooking with Children
1. Prevent food poisoning by:
• always washing hands before cooking.
• not eating raw eggs or raw meats.
• waiting until the food is cooked before sampling it. Do not sample uncooked foods.
2. Have children stand at the level of the activity. Use a stool if necessary.
3. Use cooking supplies that will not break (such as plastic measuring cups and stainless-steel bowls).
4. Use plastic knives or butter knives for cutting.
5. Provide constant supervision.
• Always watch children when they use knives, mixers, or the stove.
• Supervise the use of ovens, stoves, and other kitchen appliances.
• Remind children that stoves, ovens, pans, and dishes can be very hot.