Oriyaky Beef Stir Fry (serves 2-4 people)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- vegetable oil for frying (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 lb beef (of your choice) I like use short rib or flank steak
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 large scallions, sliced thin
- 1 medium carrot (sliced)
- 1/2 pound green beans (cut in half)
- 5 mini bok choy (leaves separated)
1. Make the sauce first by heating up 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, making sure not to get the oil too hot.
2. Add ginger, onion and garlic to the pan and sweat until lightly golden then quickly add the soy sauce and water.
3. Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then raise the heat to high and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens whichever comes first. Remove it from the heat and set aside.
4. In a pot of boiling salt water add carrots, once carrots are almost ready add beans cook for one minute then add bok choy and cook for an additional minute. Strain veg into a strainer and add to a bowl filled with ice and cold water to shock the vegetables and stop them from cooking any further.
5. Slice the beef against the grain into 1/4″ bite-size slices. Sprinkle the beef pieces with the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef. Let the beef sit for about 15 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks to it.
6. Heat the oil over medium heat until it’s hot, but not smoking then add the beef to the oil and sauté until the beef just begins to darken on the edges.You don’t need to fully cook the beef here since it’s going to go back on the heat later.
7. Stir the meat around a little so that it cooks evenly. then use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels, then pour the oil out of the wok or skillet.
8. Put the pan back over the heat, place the meat back into the pan and add the sauce, cook for two minutes while stirring, then add all the veggies.
9. Cook for one more minute, then remove the beef stir fry from the heat and sprinkle scallions.
-By Alexa Lampasona for the Food & More blog